21 February 2012

I Should've Stayed In Bed

Today started just as any other day in our lives: a screaming Ms. Bug, pleading to be released from the confines of her crib-like jail. I'm so grateful that she's started to sleep more at night, but the alarming wake up calls have yet to be outgrown.

I remember talking with Momma about me when I was a baby. She said that in the mornings she and Daddy would hold their breath as I "stirred the cookies". I was a happy waker. I'd chat to myself, my toes, my mobile. Why on earth did my child not inherit that lovely trait?

I was given, what I can only assume to be, the world's most tenacious child. This charter trait is something I know will serve her beautifully in the future... It does not serve her father and me now. For some reason she's able to leave her dad completely alone, no matter where he is in the house. He can sit in the floor with the computer in his lap and she wouldn't even care. If I try to sit on the sofa with nothing, she's on me like flies on honey.

I love her more than anything and wouldn't ever trade her for the world, but right now life is challenging. I'm her only playmate (aside from her rather old, grumpy, senile puppy). Daddy plays when he can, but Momma is here 24/7. Where we currently live, there aren't any Mom & Me playgroups or activity centers; the weather here in northern Arizona is such that as soon as it snows, the dirt turns to mud-paste and by the time it dries out enough to walk on, it snows again. Winter is obviously not the best season for an energetic toddler who needs to blow off some serious steam.

Alas, I didn't stay in bed today. Therefore, I must be mom and carry on. (Haven't we all seen enough of those little phrases on Pinterest?) Pity party over.

Hope all you out there in internet land are having a fabulous time in your lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment