01 February 2012

Scripture Memory Verse 2012 #3

It's February 1st and that means.... time for a new memory verse!

Let's get right down to it:

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

Colossians 4:5-6 NIV

I am a constant sufferer of not knowing what to say, much less when to say it. Especially as it pertains to the more difficult things of life. A few years ago, the Pastor of the church where we were members, and his wife were in a car accident. Pastor was in the ICU for a while and my in-loves and I spent some time at the hospital with him and his bride. We would each take turns going back to his room and sitting with him.

At one point, I found myself in that tiny, dark, sterile room with Ms. Patty (wife). I had no clue what to say; I was awkward, unsure of myself, at a complete loss. Finally, I spoke, "Ms. Patty, I don't know what to say." A simple, honest statement. She patted my hand and said "Right now it's just about you being here. You don't have to say anything."

I've since taken the late, great Ms. Patty's advice and kept quiet in those times when I knew not what to say. While that advice is great to heed when in situations where you may make things worse, I'm certain I took it to an extreme. (A common action on my part I'm afraid to admit.) I'm even more certain that this particular verse is not encouraging silence, especially when with unbelievers.

With this verse, I am encouraged to speak the truth, not just in love, but also in God's perfect timing. I need to rely on God's guidance when speaking to those (specifically in my own family) who are "outsiders". Only His grace will allow my words to pierce the heart of their need, and only His grace will allow their ears to listen and hearts to soften.

What types of things do you struggle with when sharing the gospel?

Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment