20 February 2012

Scripture Memory Verse 2012 #4

Well... I'm a few days behind. That seems to be the story of this month for me. I am just in a "lukewarm-ish" funk. I'm quasi-motivated parts of some days, but for the majority of this month, I've been kind of sloth-ish.

Upon this realization, I immediately thought of a passage of scripture. I know lots of people shy away from the book to which I was drawn, and it's understandable. Revelations isn't the most straight forward of all the Bible's books, but it is absolutely my favorite!

There's so much information about things to come and I kind of like knowing the end of the story before it plays out. To me, it's like watching a movie for a second (or third, or fourth, etc!) time and all I can think is how awesome it will all be! Sure there's a lot of negative things that will happen, but ultimately it's all for God's purpose to bless us and give us what He most wants for us.

I have absolutely no idea of when God will sound the shofar, but I believe that He will call us believers before the Great Tribulation. I don't think that I'll ever have to witness the seven seals that have been revealed to John. I find it all fascinating to study though.

The passage of Revelations that really started to speak to me was Revelations 3:14-18. Here, Jesus is talking to the church at Laodicea about how they are neither hot nor cold. He actually calls them out as being lukewarm. Exactly like how I've been feeling for the past couple of weeks. How apropos. I love how God will speak directly to us through His Word. He brought condemnation upon my heart. But He also brought hope.

After telling the Laodiceans they weren't making a passionate stand for or against Him, Jesus proceeds to tell them there is still a way to return to Him. And that brings me to this week's memory verse:

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me."     Revelations 3:19-20 NIV

So simple, so perfect. I've already felt Jesus' knock upon my heart, calling me to repent for my sloth-ish attitude and demeanor. By repenting I am opening the door to him and inviting him in to fellowship with me once again. I pray that I am able (through the Holy Spirit) to get out of this slump and get back to the vibrant life that God has in mind for me.

How are you feeling this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment